Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Purpose - Who me?

There seems to be a lot of people reflecting on their purpose in life. This is no surprise considering the fact that, morally speaking, we're bankrupt. The question is: who stole our purpose? To fill this void, people have resigned to short-term fixes. Activities such as: Monday-morning quarterbacking, drinking to excess (even water), and Smurf collecting among other things.

To get to the root of the problem, we must first define purpose. I'll wait for you to get the dictionary. Did I leave my car lights on? Welcome back. In case you're too cheap or broke to get a dictionary, purpose is defined as, "something set up as an object or end to be attained." Thank you, Mr. Webster. When we lack purpose our life has no worth to it. No goals. pepperonioni on the pizza. It's bland. One man said that, "A purpose is that thing that drives you out of bed every morning". Loosely translated, this could mean that the dog defacing the oak floor at 4am is your life's purpose. This conclusion is incorrect. Purpose is drive. It's exciting. You know what you're doing, why you're doing it, and have the ability to remember that you did it.

When defining our purpose, our object worth obtaining, we must consider several routes. These are best found by asking ourselves questions such as: "What did I enjoy doing when I was growing up?", "Who has had an impact on my life and what did I admire about them?", "If money were not a concern, what would I want my occupation to be?", and "If I were a tree, would birds like me enough to nest and poop in me?". These questions have been very helpful in my own search. God does not intend for our lives to be wasted away watching cubic-zirconia encrusted jewelry being sold at two in the morning (which would be so much better if they'd offer the heart shaped cut, but do they read my mail? Nope. No reply. Not one!) We're made with purpose and it's not to go to a job we hate, to make less money than we're worth, to buy things we can't afford to impress people we don't like (source-unknown)

Life is supposed to be more than work. To be precise, it's supposed to be 87 inches more. Life can be fulfilling, exciting and fun for all of those who make the time and effort to seek it. When we find our dreams, talents, skills, passions, and that little voice in all of us (not the one that argues with you), we begin to find our identity which was in our wallet the whole time.

Until we meet next week. In the meantime, I've got a mess to clean and a dog to punish! I wish I hadn't bought him that cubic-zirconia encrusted collar!

Serious sources to consider:
http://www.48days.com Career counselor and human resource exepert Dan Miller shows how to find the work of your dreams in as little as 48 days.

http://www.purposedrivenlife.com Pastor Rick Warren reveals the purpose for which we were created.

1 Comments:

Blogger cindy said...

Well said! And I feel your pain; nothing compells me more to question my life's purpose than to clean poop off the floor.

10:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home